Tuesday 24 September 2013

Widow who bought dream home for £8,000 in 1949 refuses to sell it, despite £8 million price tag ...

A pensioner who paid £8,000 for her seaside home has seen it shoot up in value to a staggering £8 million.
Lalage Bailey, 81, and her late husband Frank bought the beachfront property on Sandbanks, Dorset, in 1949 for the four-figure sum.
Since then, the sandy peninsula in Poole harbour has become a magnet for multi-millionaires, turning it into one of the world's hottest property spots.

As a result, Mrs Bailey's detached home is now worth 1,000 times more than she paid for it - an increase of 100,000 per cent.
Despite the lucrative sum, which would earn the grandmother a profit of £7,992,000, she has no plans to cash in.
Grandmother Mrs Bailey said: "I am not going to sell my house to anyone, no matter how much they offer me for it.
"When I die, it will be left to my four children and it is up to them what they do but I would rather it stayed in the family.
"I have had many estate agents round offering me more money than sense but I just don't want to move.
"It's a wonderful house and I am very lucky to have it."

The three-storey property was built in 1918 and once belonged to Mrs Bailey's father-in-law, camping tycoon Oswald Bailey.
When she married his son Frank in 1949, Oswald sold it to the happy couple for £8,000.
Boasting stunning views of Poole Harbour and Brownsea Island, the property was set out as three flats but, over time, the Baileys converted it back to a house.
Mrs Bailey said: "We were very fortunate to get it. It cost a lot of money in those days.
"Because we were just married, we lived in the ground-floor flat and rented out the two flats above, which helped with the mortgage repayments."
After the birth of their first two children, the couple took up the flat above and, by the time they had four, they converted the building back into one large house.